In-the-know gardeners have been singing Rozanne’s praises ever since she was first discovered in Rozanne and Donald Waterer’s garden. As more and more people have got to know her over the years, she’s been awarded the highest accolades the world can offer, including:
- The RHS Chelsea Flower Show Plant of the Centenary (UK)
- RHS Award of Garden Merit (UK)
- Perennial Plant Association Plant of the Year (USA)
RHS Chelsea Flower Show ‘Plant of the Centenary’
Voted for by members of the public, this unique accolade was created to celebrate the RHS Chelsea Flower Show’s 100th anniversary (in 2013).
Ten candidates were selected by a panel of RHS experts to represent each of the ten decades of the show’s existence. Having been exhibited there in 2000, in a garden design by Adrian Bloom that had it spilling out of a well, Rozanne was selected as the Plant of the Decade for 1993-2002. The public were then left to decide which of the ten should be crowned ‘Plant of the Centenary.
RHS Award of Garden Merit
The Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) is the UK’s leading gardening charity dedicated to advancing horticulture and promoting good gardening.
RHS Award of Garden Merit (AGM) indicates that the plant is recommended by the RHS, having been through rigorous trials. The RHS AGM is awarded only to plants that meet the following criteria:
- Outstanding excellence for ordinary garden decoration or use
- Good constitution
- Do not require highly specialist growing conditions or care
- Are not particularly susceptible to any pest or disease
- Are not be subject to an unreasonable degree of reversion in its vegetative or floral characteristics
Plants awarded an AGM may range in hardiness, being hardy throughout the British Isles, or suitable only for cultivation under heated glass. Though growing conditions and plant types may vary, the purpose of the award is always the same: to highlight the best plants available to the home gardener.
Perennial Plant Association Perennial Plant of the Year
The Perennial Plant of the Year™ accolade is awarded to plants which the highly knowledgeable members of the PPA believe to be truly outstanding and deserving of wider recognition. Rozanne was selected for this honour in 2008.
Criteria a plant must meet for PPA Perennial Plant of the Year include:
- Being suitable for a wide range of climate types
- Having multiple-season interest
- Being relatively pest/disease-free
- Being easy to grow outdoors with “low maintenance” characteristics