Can I grow hardy geraniums in a container? New gardeners have been asking this question to us lately.
Hands down, the answer is: YES! You absolutely can grow your favorite hardy geraniums – ahem, Geranium Rozanne®, of course – in your favorite containers in your garden. Rozanne loves dripping from hanging baskets and window boxes. Or, she loves hanging over the edge of a big planter. As it turns out, container planting is a fantastic option for showcasing the best of Rozanne. We compiled some reasons why this might be the right choice for you.
Why You Should Consider Container Planting
There are several reasons including the fact that Rozanne grows well in containers. Other enticing reasons include:
- Watering and weeding are easy – there’s only the container to water and weeding is nearly eliminated
- Containers are moveable for you to enjoy the stunning colors of Rozanne nearly anywhere you move her
- No garden is required – grow her on your front porch, the back deck or your apartment balcony
More Helpful Tips for Your Hardy Geraniums
If you haven’t already reviewed our previous post on exactly how to grow Geranium Rozanne in a container, be sure to check it out for a step-by-step guide. Need a little more encouragement to try out container planting? Here are some additional tips to keep in mind:
- Any available container or plant pot should do the trick, just be sure it has holes in the bottom for extra water to drain, as hardy geraniums do not like soggy soil
- Be sure your container fits your growing (and sometimes large) geranium plants
- Choose a good quality, well-drained potting soil – never garden soil
- Feel free to use your creativity and gardening eye to combine different geraniums within the same container or mix them with other annuals
- Plant hardy geraniums the same depth they were originally in the pot purchased in
- Only water when the top inch of soil is dry – simply poke your finger into the soil for a wet test
- Remove old blossoms and brown leaves to prevent fungus problems and remember to water properly, and you should be good to go!
We hope you take these tips to heart and give container planting a shot! Do you need more tips to make the most out of your garden? Stay tuned to our blog for more planting tips in the future.
If you’re not able to go garden shopping locally, there are also options for buying online. Click here to see a list of online suppliers of Geranium Rozanne and Friends® varieties!